Sunday, June 14, 2009

Another "Click"
(by George I think I've got it)

Sometime in 2007 I decided I wanted to work on a Grandmother's Flower Garden - loving what I saw on Libby's blog and receiving encouragement from her, I jumped in with both feet. I pulled out my Rhubarb & Ginger fat quarter bundle, got very organized and assembled many GFG flowers. Oh, I was so proud!!! Then I came to screeching halt (yes, a complete stop)............no matter how many diagrams I saw I simply couldn't figure out how to put all the flowers together to make one quilt - I truly felt dumb!!! So, I put the whole project away in a pretty box and decided it just wasn't meant to be. Deep huge SIGH!!!

On occasion over the last two years I pulled out the pretty box - spread my flowers out and simply released an even bigger, deeper SIGH - still receiving encouragement from Libby - alas I just couldn't see it. I even joined the Great Hexagon Quilt Along and asked for help and after receiving advice I still couldn't see it. More sighs!!!

Well, yesterday I decided enough was enough - it was time! I looked at the pretty box and all the flowers and said "It's ON"! LOL

I don't know what happened but this time it clicked! I am well on my way to assembling my Grandmother Flower Garden quilt top - yet another deeper & bigger SIGH (this one of relief - whew)

It's probably going to be a long time before I see this quilt top completed but I certainly feel much better - I can pull out that pretty box and feel good that I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for stopping by! Come again and come often!

In Friendship!

28 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm so happy for you and it looks wonderful!!!!

Ruth said...

I love the fabrics you are using! It's going to be so gorgeous! I have a GFG lap quilt that I need to finish. I'm just about done with the top for as big as I'm going to make it, so it wouldn't take too long to finish, but I have so many other things going on right now. Hopefully, this year!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

So happy that you can move on with your Grandmothers Flower Garden. It's beautiful.

dotti white said...

You are really stepping outside of the box lately--I am impressed. i loved that line of fabric when it came out and I have a few pieces of it. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. Can't wait to see the progress! Have a great weekend!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I did that with my applique blocks! Your hexagons are gorgeous and I know you'll enjoy the rainbow at the end. :o)

Sally said...

I love that! I'm not much into hand work and GFG has always meant handwork to me...but you are an inspriation and I might just have to try one of those...maybe a doll quilt for one of my DGD's! Hmmm...wandering off to the studio.

Carol said...

BEAUTIFUL! I have absolutely no clue how to do those...I wouldn't even be able to get to the point of putting them in a pretty box...LOL! I'm cheering you on!

Jocelyn said...

Wow this is going to look so great. You are a brave soul. I can't even figure out how to make the hexi's :-(

Kim Brackett said...

Good for you! They look great!

Cathy said...

Beautiful! And you've inspired me to resume my GFG project. Similar situation, I've made a number of blocks using 30's repros, just couldn't figure out what to do with them next.

Nan said...

How beautiful! Isn't it wonderful when creativity just flows?
H'moosies!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darlene...a quick check in...only a few blogs could be checked and no post today. Mom's internet is slow and ties up the line. How I miss mine! Anyway, a quick pop in to say hi and seeing what you;ve been up to. No sense in replying I likely won't see it until I return to NC.

Karen said...

You go girl! I am glad that things clicked for you! And I like the fabric choice.

Winona said...

Darlene, your GFG is going to be just gorgeous. I haven't tried one of these yet, but it is on the list to learn. LOL Keep up the good work and post pictures as you work on this. I love seeing quilts in progress. Winona

swooze said...

Congrats. That has to be so freeing.

Sherri said...

It looks great...the green connecting hexagons are perfect for your fabrics! Sometimes I appreciate my projects even more after they have "sat" for awhile!

Janet said...

It's great when the lightbulb goes on, I love those moments. Now you can get on and enjoy this project!

Libby said...

*jumping for joy all around the room*

Lurline said...

Looking great - enjoy!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Kaaren said...

Aren't light bulb moments the best?

Now that's going to be a keeper for sure, Darlene. I think the Rhubarb & Ginger line is my all time favorite.

Woo hoo!

Wendy said...

You go girl! You know sometimes it just happens when you least expect it. Love the colours and it will be a beautiful quilt.

sewprimitive karen said...

Well! That is gorgeous!

Candace said...

Sometimes all it takes is putting your project away several times before your mind is willing to "accept" how to do something! This is going to be an incredibly gorgeous quilt, Darlene! I'm so glad you found your "mo-jo" with the hexagons!
Cheers!

Carrie P. said...

It is going to look great. You can work on it while your watching TV. Have fun.

Cheryl said...

I have a whole pile sitting in a basket for the very same reason! I am proud of you and it looks great!

Quilter Kathy said...

You are on a roll of skill mastery...first hand quilting, now hexagon quilting...what's next?!!?
It will be amazing! Keep going!

Rose Marie said...

So very glad to hear that you 'got it' and love what you've done so far.

I had a hard time when it came to sewing my flowers together, so you were not alone.

Thimbleanna said...

It's beautiful! I've always wanted to try a GFG, but I've watched one of my friends working on one for over 10 years now and I figure if I started one, my descendents will probably inherit its parts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...