Thursday, May 24, 2007


Need to FOCUS (verb: direct one's attention on something)

Remember the “Great Quilting Slump of ’06? Nothing, absolutely nothing appealed to me. I didn’t want to piece, appliqué, and/or embroider. What was up with that? The only thing I was doing well was spending money on more projects. LOL

Fast forward to May ’07 – I’ve been piecing like a maniac; I’ve been doing a little embroidery; I’ve played with punchneedle (thank you, Wendy) however I haven’t touched any hand appliqué or my Grandmother’s Flower Garden hexagon flowers. Soon, very soon!!!!!

I haven’t done any sewing this week however I’ve been doing quite a bit of cutting. I have two projects all cut and ready to sew and I’m going to search for a two or three more. I’m not crazy about “prep” so while I’m in the mood to “prep” I figured I’d take advantage of my mood and get some projects ready to sew. I've been digging through bins, drawers, cupboards looking for "the" projects that I want to prep and I keep hearing "pick me, pick me". It's been very difficult to decide! LOL

Here are pictures of my “prepped” projects – notice anything? Two very different color schemes. One is very cute 30’s prints (cheery) and the other is Rites of Spring by Moda (dark) and I love them both! Is there something wrong with me, that I seem to like it ALL (well, except batiks – LOL) and I want to do it ALL??????
Then there's all of you, my dear blogging friends, you keep posting pictures of your wonderful projects. Tempting and taunting me! :-) No, no, no don't stop posting those pictures - talk about inspiration. WOWZER!!!!
So, what should I do? Continue doing as I've been doing (in my own little world) or do I truly need to focus?
EDIT: I was writing this post when I read Kim's post on her blog and almost didn't post this about needing to focus and then decided that I would cuz we are obviously in sync. So, I'm not sure if it's the quilting hormones or if I'm multi-tasking as Kim says.
Good Intentions!
Yes, yes I know "the road is paved with good intentions". But, but, but I've really had the best of intentions! Most of you know that I like to respond to all of your comments ("no reply" makes that difficult) however I've been remiss about doing that. Please, please accept my apologies and know that I appreciate your comments and I promise to do better! I love reading all your comments!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what you would tell me in such a case : ENJOY ! HAVE FUN ! Make plans, prepare, A TON of projects, they'll all be sooo beautiful ! We LOVE the way you inspire us, too, Darlene. Don't change anything !...
By the way : never seen such cute 30's fabrics ! OMG, they're just wonderful. Can't wait seeing what's coming out of them!

Biiiiig hugs & smiles !
NADINE
(who is going to try to find some sleep, now : it's 1.30am, here ! I'm addicted to your blog... among many others ! LOL)

SuBee said...

LOL - gee, if you think there's something wrong with you, you might just be asking the wrong crowd.... We ALL have 18 projects, and will start a new one at the drop of a FQ - keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh I love your fabrics, especially the second photo, so soft and warm looking, not dark, just soft. The first photo looks like it has a load of cut fabrics, my gosh you'll end up with a monster size quilt.
If there's something wrong with you, then we're all in the same boat. New projects, we love them and can't live without them...don't change, we wouldn't recognise you...lol....

Wendy said...

Work on the project that will make you feel happy this week and if you change your mind next week, that's okay it happens to all of us. We quilters like to change projects in a heart beat and have many on the go at any given time. There both very lovely and I'm with you no batiks.

Beth said...

I love the 2 projects that you have all ready.....I can't wait to see them when they are done! I have a few of those 30's prints myself and I love just about everything fabricwise as well....I cannot believe my ecclectic tastes when it comes to fabric....LOL

Keep on posting all the wonderful eye candy! I love checking out your blog (almost daily) and since you started your Celebrate Spring Challenge I just had to go out and buy some of the fabrics for myself....LOL....now to decide what to do with those yummy fabrics :)

Wendy said...

Oops forgot to mention.
I'm glad to hear you are diving into the punchneedle. How's it going, are you getting the feel of it?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the slump. I'm back in the groove now too and look out. I'm cranking out the projects. We know theres lots of work to be done.

Kim said...

Hmmmm. Seems like I've heard this before somewhere. Now where was it? Hummm. Oh yeah! MY blog! LOL! I guess we're in much the same situation, except it sounds like you're having fun! But you know what? It's all a matter of perspective. You AREN'T suffering from a lack of focus--you're just multi-tasking!

Patti said...

Why limit yourself? Focus on what you are working on but surround yourself with the rest. I'm with you - there isn't much that doesn't appeal as long as it's either primitive, or folky, or reproduction - or even bright retro stuff. Just as long as it isn't batiks, orientals, or modern stuff. There are just too many marvelous things out there to make yourself pick just one. Variety is the spice of life!

I'm with Nadine - I have probably 500+ different fabrics in my 30's collection, but I don't have any like yours LOL!

Knot Garden said...

I know what you mean about every project calling to you! I'm not mad on batiks either. Love those 30's fabrics though:)

Carol said...

I just love it! You are just like me. The more I have going on the happier I am. I'm constantly sewing on at least 2 projects at a time. Never get bored...I am so glad the slump is gone and you are so busy...I think prepping is the hardest part so when the mood strikes you must do it. Have FUN!

Vicky said...

I've got a punchneedle project all ready to go. I'm a little scared to try it. Go figure!

Your quilts are going to be beautiful! Waytago, Darlene!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I was in the same slump last year, no quilting at all. But I did really sharpen my knitting skills. Now it's all quilting again and fun and lots of fabric buying again, lol.
I to love the 30's, even joined the clothsline club.
I have mostly all Moda's like Kansas Troubles,etc. so it has been fun collecting totally differnt colors and prints.
deb

atet said...

You don't wear the same clothes all the time (well, one would hope not -- otherwise, I'll step downwind). You have outfits for days you want to be comfy, for dress up, for fun (making some assumptions here -- but these categories are pretty safe). You probably don't watch the same movie over and over again -- you probably like multiple types of movies and watch them as the mood strikes.

Why should quilting be any different. Some fabrics call to us at different times. Some projects are challenges, while others allow us to simply enjoy the act of creating without thinking much. Why not allow yourself to have a couple of those going and not worry about "focus". Worry about "fun".

Diana said...

Darlene, you sound like you are having such fun!

Anonymous said...

Quilt and sew what moves you at the time. Quilting is an art and sometime certain palettes don't inspire. Go with your instinct. Those 30's fabrics are fantastic!

Libby said...

Focus-schmocus . . . variety is the spice of life. That's why we quilters are required to have a multitude of projects in the works and an equal number planned with extra fabric in the cabinet for the random whim *s*

Quilter Kathy said...

There are few photographs more wonderful (for me) than a quilt in the making...all the pieces cut out, organized and ready to sew!
Focusing takes too much energy!
I vote for just going with the flow and enjoy every minute!

Judy said...

Nothing wrong at all with loving lots of things!

Carole said...

I say go with the flow! What ever suits you! Otherwise you stop the creative flow. Be well!

Susan said...

I get tired just looking at what you get accomplished...........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...